Rear USB ports

Discuss Bryston's discontinued BDP-1 Digital Music Player

Re: Rear USB ports

by Gary Dayton » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:15 pm

I prefer the AES/EBU, but it's practically a tossup with the BDA-2. I think it depends heavily on the interconnect and DAC used in the system.

--Gary / Bryston
--Gary / Bryston
Gary Dayton

by Chris Rice » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:16 pm

CanadianMaestro wrote:
Chris Rice wrote:It's more likey that the drive occasionally bursts to 900mA and it's either short enough not to upset the BDP-1 or it hasn't spiked that high while playing music off of it. I can assure you that BDP-1 can't sustain much more then 500mA per supply.

Cheers
Chris

Hi

Thanks for the tip. It's working fine, no fails. Probably not drawing more than 500mA even with the fastest music.

Question: What's your view on USB cables between the pocket drive and BDP-1? I use the short stock cable, about 30cm. I don't subscribe to buying uber-expensive USB cables like some do. For me, the critical digital circuitry are inside the components, not in the USB cable itself.

Cheers,
M

I share this opinion
Bryston Ltd.
Engineer
Chris Rice

by Rockyboy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:40 pm

Has anyone used a USB power supply such as the Aqvox (Germany)? It claims to improve SQ.
Rockyboy

by CanadianMaestro » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:07 pm

Rockyboy wrote:Has anyone used a USB power supply such as the Aqvox (Germany)? It claims to improve SQ.

Not sure if it's the same thing, but I'm going to experiment by plugging in a powered USB hub (Macally) this weekend, and attaching 2 G-drives and 2 thumbdrives (500GB each G-drive, 64GB/thumbdrive) to the hub. Will see if BDP-1 will play smoothly with the hub plugged into it. It should, if forum posts are to be believed. I think as long as the USB cables attaching the drives to the hub are good quality, the SQ shouldn't be affected detrimentally with a powered hub. I am not a believer in high-end USB cabling, at least for the BDP-1.

Pete
BCD-1 BDP-1 >BDA-1 >BHA-1 + B100 >14B-SST2 >Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE
Shunyata Triton/Typhon
HE560 HD650 PS500
CanadianMaestro

by CanadianMaestro » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:53 pm

Success!! I plugged in a Startech powered 6-port USB hub to one rear jack on BDP-1. Easily recognizes and reads 4 drives from the powered hub! I am sooooo happy now. Before, I could not get it to read two 500-GB G-drives from the rear jacks, usually a power issue. Now, I have the two drives plus two 64-GB thumbies plugged into the hub. No power issues whatsoever. And the sound is fabulous with Furutech Formulaa-2 USB cables (well-shielded) feeding the hub and the two 500-GB drives.

If interested, here are the relevant links:
http://ca.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/U ... ST7320USBC
http://www.adl-av.com/products/cables/usb/
Shunyata Triton/Typhon
HE560 HD650 PS500
CanadianMaestro

by CanadianMaestro » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:22 pm

I'm not one to go ga-ga about USB cables, but I'm getting very satisfactory results with Furutech's Formula-2 cable. Connects my BDP-1 to 500-GB pocket G-drives on rear USB ports. Not expensive, either. Specs are here for anyone interested. YMMV, but compared to the thinner black stock USB cable that comes with the G-drives, this Furutech is a marked improvement for smoothness across the Freq spectrum. Don't know how to explain it; they're just packets of 0's and 1's..... :?

http://www.partsconnexion.com/prod_pdf/ ... rmula2.pdf
Shunyata Triton/Typhon
HE560 HD650 PS500
CanadianMaestro

by Gary Dayton » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:32 pm

I use the AES/EBU in my system.
--Gary / Bryston
Gary Dayton

by Foodiespanda » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:39 am

Puri Hair Hair follicles can suffer bruising of their surroundings, and this results in corkscrew hair, without problems broken
https://www.foodiespanda.com/puri-hair/
Foodiespanda

Previous

Return to BDP-1