BDP2+BDA2: missing first second of first song

Discuss Bryston's BDP-2 Digital Music Player

BDP2+BDA2: missing first second of first song

by vklyushnikov » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:23 pm

Hello,
I've noticed a strange issue with my BDP2+BDA2 setup: after turning on my devices from standby, first playback of the first song in playlist starts not from beginning of song. It misses about a second. This is clearly audible on some loud rock/metal songs that start without any kind of introduction. And this issue occurs only once from startup. If I stop playing and start playlist again - song plays from very beginning. If I play anoth album - it also plays ok. But I turn off my system to standby every night so issue is annoying for me. And it occurs with both Manic Moose Media Player and MPAD. Please provide a fix - I hope this is software issue. My setup is following:
BDP-2 with Manic Moose S2.06 2014-10-07 (tried both MPD 0.17.5 and 0.18.6).
BDA2 with turned on upsampling.
DH Labs AES/EBU cable.

And one observation: after startup BDA-2 is locked to 48K sample rate. And it changes sample rate to required (44K in my case) at the beginning of playback. May be delay occurs during sample rate change? I can be wrong, of course.
Regards,
Vladimir
vklyushnikov

Re: BDP2+BDA2: missing first second of first song

by vklyushnikov » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:20 am

Any comments / workarounds from Bryston support?
Regards,
Vladimir
vklyushnikov

by CanadianMaestro » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:04 pm

Hi

Not sure if this addresses/fixes your glitch, but I leave my BDP-1 (Loony Loon) powered on 24/7, without any issues whatsoever. It doesn't suck a lot of power when idle, especially since I have my drives plugged into a powered USB hub, not directly to the BDP's ports.

It beats powering up and then having to wait 15mins. for it to re-read all my attached drives.

Not sure if it's a software or hardware issue that is causing your glitch with BDP-2. I defer to Bryston's resident experts on this.

Good luck.

M.
BCD-1 BDP-1 >BDA-1 >BHA-1 + B100 >14B-SST2 >Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE
Shunyata Triton/Typhon
HE560 HD650 PS500
CanadianMaestro

by vklyushnikov » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:35 am

Things are worse that I expected initially. Glitch occurs EVERY TIME when sample rate is changed to lower value. I've easily reproduced it. I've created two versions of the same song - 44K and 96K. Then I added both to playlist and started switching between them. Every time I switch to 44K version first second of song is missing. When I switch to 96K version - no glitch occurs. If I switch between several 44K songs - no glitch occurs too.
I don't know whether this is player or DAC issue. I expect that Bryston support will fix this in shortest time, because such flaws are unacceptable for such pricy devices.
Regards,
Vladimir
vklyushnikov

by CanadianMaestro » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:42 pm

vklyushnikov wrote:Things are worse that I expected initially. Glitch occurs EVERY TIME when sample rate is changed to lower value. I've easily reproduced it. I've created two versions of the same song - 44K and 96K. Then I added both to playlist and started switching between them. Every time I switch to 44K version first second of song is missing. When I switch to 96K version - no glitch occurs. If I switch between several 44K songs - no glitch occurs too.
I don't know whether this is player or DAC issue. I expect that Bryston support will fix this in shortest time, because such flaws are unacceptable for such pricy devices.

This might be something unique to BDP-2/BDA-2, or perhaps even to your particular unit(s). I didn't hear any glitch with BDP-1/BDA-1 combo. Just now, I lined up three tracks: going from 192/24 to 96/24 to 44/16. The first two were choral tracks, the last was a Lizzie West vocal track. So, downsampling from 192 to 96 to 44. No glitches whatsoever. Let's hear what Bryston staff have to say.

Really hope you resolve your glitch.
Shunyata Triton/Typhon
HE560 HD650 PS500
CanadianMaestro

by CanadianMaestro » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:50 pm

Footnote: I played the three tracks and let them transit normally to each other, in a playlist. No "switching" with my remote.

You said that you created two versions of the same track, at different resolutions. What software did you use for doing this conversion?
Shunyata Triton/Typhon
HE560 HD650 PS500
CanadianMaestro

by vklyushnikov » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:17 pm

I've saved 44k track as 96k in Audacity. It's simple upsampling. And you should be sure that music is started from very beginning.
Regards,
Vladimir
vklyushnikov

by CanadianMaestro » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:44 pm

Can you try another DAC -- maybe your dealer can loan you a different DAC.
Also, have you tried the other input jacks on BDA-2? Maybe it's a faulty jack.
Trying to see if it's the BDA-2 that's the culprit.
Shunyata Triton/Typhon
HE560 HD650 PS500
CanadianMaestro

by keithjacksontucson » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:49 pm

Whatever the sample rate was when you stopped playing the BDP-2 the day before is what is apparantly retained in the memory. If I've been playing 44K and then I start the next time with a 44k piece, there is no problem. When I start with something with a different sample rate, the beginning of the song is skipped. Playback is fine until I switch to a 96K or 88k or 48, or DSF , then the first song in that sample rate has a few seconds skipped . It's been driving me crazy
This appears to be a BDP-2 glitch. I have a lot of 88K and 96K downloads from HDtracks and my regular CDS are all ripped at 44K. So I do a lot of switching around in my playlist.
keithjacksontucson

by CanadianMaestro » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:57 pm

My superficial understanding is that it's the BDA, not BDP, that is responsible for up/downsampling and recognizing sample rates.
Shunyata Triton/Typhon
HE560 HD650 PS500
CanadianMaestro

Next

Return to BDP-2