Installing Internal HDD

Discuss Bryston's BDP-2 Digital Music Player

Re: Installing Internal HDD

by Chris Rice » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:28 am

Jhayman wrote:Hello..new to the forum and to Bryston Products..
So far I'm impressed.
I hope I'm not intruding on this thread but I'm also in the process of installing a 500G HD, I have opened the unit and noticed I have no metal plate where the HD sits, is this normal now?
I have formatted the drive to fat32, but was wondering can I also upgrade the ram chip to say a 4G from the 2G installed?
Btw those bottom torn screws are very hard to remove, there are nuts holding them on so I guess you need a few different tools to install the HD..
Thanks
Jamie

Hi Jamie,

The chipset used in the BDP-2's is limited to 2GB RAM, so changing out the module will either result in the same amount of memory or a bricked system. We stopped including the metal plate sometime ago and relplaced it with bolts, it should still be the same type of screw.
Bryston Ltd.
Engineer
Chris Rice

by Jhayman » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:32 am

Thanks Chris..
I figured out how to install and transfer music from my computer to the BDP-2, one thing you guys should do is include instructions in the manual.
But it's all working Great very Happy
Jhayman

by Chris Rice » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:04 pm

Jhayman wrote:Hello..new to the forum and to Bryston Products..
So far I'm impressed.
I hope I'm not intruding on this thread but I'm also in the process of installing a 500G HD, I have opened the unit and noticed I have no metal plate where the HD sits, is this normal now?
I have formatted the drive to fat32, but was wondering can I also upgrade the ram chip to say a 4G from the 2G installed?
Btw those bottom torn screws are very hard to remove, there are nuts holding them on so I guess you need a few different tools to install the HD..
Thanks
Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Yes, I believe manufacturing wanted to replace the pice of metal with some washers and or just bolts.

The memory can't be upgraded, it is already the maximum the chipset can handle.

You may want to consider formatting the drive using the software built into the BDP.

Open disk information
Select the partition of the drive, not the drive itself
Click the Unmount/mount button
Select the the drive
Click erase
Choose a filesystem
Give the volume a name
Click erase

This will format the drive and add some system files
Bryston Ltd.
Engineer
Chris Rice