MEMORY/CPU/SWAP PERFORMANCE -SOLID STATE DRIVES?

rrwwss49

30-12-2014 20:26:07

I just loaded the Manic Moose firmware into my early version BDP-1 last week. Process went smoothly. I was able to setup an NAS, and also have USB Drives (500GB hard drive for flac tracks, 64GB flash drive for hi-res flac tracks, and an 8GB scratch drive) attached. When playing hi-resolution flac tracks, and accessing the Manic Moose Dashboard with my iPad, the CPU and Memory are taxed, upward toward 100 percent. When this happens, a brief music dropout occurs, but nothing long lasting. Would there be any benefit to using a single high capacity external SSD (512GB) to attach via USB to improve (reduce) the memory and CPU usage. Any performance tips would be appreciated.

Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

Chris Rice

05-01-2015 20:24:37

Is the BDP updating its database while this "hicups" occur?

Cheers,
Chris

rrwwss49

06-01-2015 19:09:04

Hi Chris,

the hiccups occured on the hi-res tracks at the same time I was tinkering with Manic Moose on my ipad. it might have even been the network being taxed. I spoke with Gary on the phone a couple of days ago, and he gave some suggestions to trim CPU & memory demand. seems OK now. one question, is there any noticeable benefit going to a SSD versus a standard laptop hard drive.

i have made a new 500 GB HDD laptop drive and placed everything on a single partitioned drive (flac tracks, hi-res tracks, and scratch). versus using multiple drives.

So far so good. Robert

Chris Rice

07-01-2015 02:01:17

There isn't any difference between an ssd and hdd, both have pro's and con's

rrwwss49

07-01-2015 03:10:10

Thanks Chris. a couple hundred of bucks saved!!! Robert. :D