USB vs eSATA connection

Comus

15-07-2017 21:17:06

Hi folks,

Newbie here; first post.

I've read that the internal drive in the BDP-2 is connected via eSATA. Would this mean, then, it would be preferable to connect external drives (that have both USB and eSATA outputs) via eSATA as well? I have an OWC Mercury Elite Pro SSD that offers both options; it also has its own power supply.

Q: Would a self-powered external SSD connected via eSATA offer better SQ than via USB? [Btw, I mention 'self-powered' only because I presume (perhaps erroneously) eSATA drives don't draw power from the host device via the cable, as with USB?]

Thank you in advance.

Cheers

Chris Rice

16-07-2017 15:57:08

Hello

Yes any device using esata would require an external power source, however if you intend to use the internal sata hookup a power source is provided. There shouldn't be any noticeable difference in sound quality due to how the BDP operates.

Cheers
Chris

Comus

16-07-2017 22:12:41

Thank you, Chris.

The ONLY reason I'm considering an external eSATA drive is because (from what I've read elsewhere in this forum) it's seems much easier to transfer/rename/edit/delete folders and files by plugging the external drive directly into my Mac, as opposed to trying to accomplish this with the internal drive. Is that a correct assessment? If it is, I'd much rather take the easier route. (Easier for me, anyway, as I'm an incorrigible Machead who doesn't know how to even boot up a PC; given that Bryston's stuff is Linux(?)-based, I'd rather avoid any PC-like protocols/procedures.)

Thank you.

Cheers

Comus

16-07-2017 23:38:18

Chris,

Btw, my reasoning for taking the eSATA route as opposed to USB [my SSD offers both options]:

I figured there was good reason (in terms of achieving best SQ) Bryston decided to connect the internal HD via eSATA. If I went in via USB (with or without an external power supply, split cables, etc,), the signal would necessarily have to undergo a conversion, and end up on the same board the internal SATA drive is connected to? If this were indeed the case, I reasoned that since it's 'generally' accepted that the internal eSATA drive yields the best SQ, I would achieve exactly the same results by connecting via external eSATA, thereby obviating the need for USB-to-eSATA conversion. Does this make sense?

Thank you.

Cheers

Chris Rice

17-07-2017 14:38:04

Comus

17-07-2017 14:43:57

Thank you! Will do.
Cheers

Chris Rice

17-07-2017 14:46:35

Comus

19-07-2017 14:53:22

Hi Chris,
I ve decided to install the internal drive. (I currently have a SSD that's connected via USB, which I'll also keep.)

The new Samsung EVO850 SSD arrives today. From all that I've managed to gather online, it appears the new SSD would need to be formatted to "Fat 32" on my Mac BEFORE installation in the BDP-2. Is this correct? I was under the impression the formatting was done after the HD is installed, and the BDP-2 connected to the Mac. Please advise. Thank you!

Cheers