BUC-1 into BDA-2?

jflussier

11-01-2015 16:51:38

Hi,

someone told me yesterday that using a BUC-1 between a laptop and a BDA-2 DAC would result in greatly improved sound.

Is there any truth to that? This surprised me because the BDA-2 USB input is already asynchronous, but the person seemed utterly convinced, although he wouldn't explain the exact reason (I think because he thought I wouldn't understand). He apparently has hands-on experience with this as he has been using BUC-1's in his home sytem and studio system.

Please bear in mind that my technical knowledge regarding audio is very limited. I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to playback digital files in my house and was comtemplating going the way of a NAS controlled by an iPad until I heard this suggestion.

I'm currently output music from a laptop into a BDA-1 via a 15 feet USB cable. I am awaiting a BDA-2 which I should receive next week. The person's suggestion would be to keep my laptop as a music source, output into the BUC-1 via my long USB cable, and go from the BUC-1 to the DAC via a short studio-grade cable.

My amp is a Naim Supernait 2 and my speakers are Sonus Faber Grand Piano.

Thanks in advance!

Chris Rice

11-01-2015 23:37:34

Perhaps he was thinking of a BDA-1?

I wouldn't think the BUC-1 would improve a BDA-2

jflussier

12-01-2015 22:58:48

I know it sounds strange but he clearly specified the BDA-2.

He also mentioned something about mutliple DACs used in a RAID-like array, which is way over my head technically.

Guess I will try and pry some kind of explanation from him. He's not someone I know well, just someone who's selling his BDA-2 to me, so I don't know how successful I will be.

There is also this guy who's using a similar setup : http://thebopper.net/musicsystem.htm

Unfortunately, there is no contact info on his website so I can't ask him for an explanation.

Chris Rice

13-01-2015 01:30:18

Just stick with the BDA-2, both units use the same micro with three differences in the software, where one has DA2 the other has UC1, that's it!

One guys sounds like he's trying hard to off load a BUC and the other sounds like he's still learning about digital audio.

I'm sure you'll love your BDA2

Cheers
Chris

jflussier

13-01-2015 04:13:50

Thanks Chris.

I heard back from the guy selling me the BDA-2. Honestly, he did not seem in a rush to sell me a BUC-1 at all and he gave me a load of useful free advice regarding cables.

Here is his explanation : « Because the BUC-1 clocks the digital data from the USB and then provides a straight digital signal to the DAC so the DAC does not have to reclock the signal at same time as changing it to analog ».

This was suggested to him, he tried it and became convinced. Of course, subjectivity may have payed a role...

Chris Rice

14-01-2015 01:51:56

Using the USB input on a BDA is no different, the BUC is identical to the BDA-2 minus the dac digital to analog portion. The BDA uses the same XMOS chip to turn the USB packets into a digital Signal that then feeds the dac chips that turn the digital signal into an analog one.

Seriously would be a waste of money!

Cheers
Chris