Low Frequencies

Boldlygo

10-11-2014 17:04:53

I have speakers that are capable of going down to 28 Hz or lower and don't want to use the sub for 2-channel listening. How do I setup the SP3 to let the large front speakers go below 40 Hz? (I have the Sub ON for movies and Extra Bass off)

cgw

10-11-2014 17:16:48

Just set the speakers to large and turn the sub off for that input. (The SP3 allows different speaker configurations for each input.)

Boldlygo

10-11-2014 18:13:11

Will it then allow freq. below 40Hz to pass to the front speakers?

cgw

10-11-2014 23:49:05

From the manual:

Bass contents carried through those channels where the speakers are declared as “Large” is not re-routed through the Subwoofer. Instead it is output through those speakers directly.
If Subwoofer is declared as not present, then the bass contents from all the channels will be re-routed through the large speakers only (if there are any), otherwise it will be cut-off.

So if you set the front speaker to large, the front speaker is getting all the bass and the sub is just getting the LFE channel.

If Xtra Bass is enabled and the front speaker is set to large, the front speaker will get full range bass, and the sub will get the bass from both the LFE channel and the front speaker.

Bryston has done a great job of allowing us to configure things just the way you want them with each source having its own set of configuration. Your CD input you can set up with no bass and on your BAL1 input you can have different crossovers than BAL2.

The only thing to remember is that each input requires all the settings to be set. Setting distances and levels have to be done for each set of inputs.

Boldlygo

11-11-2014 05:13:57

Thanks so much for clearing this up. What was throwing me for a loop was the crossover setting which stays at 40 Hz.