Surround Modes

lycia

05-02-2015 23:37:50

I wish to use the surround mode "PLII Natural" for stereo but cannot find it in the list of surround modes by pressing the Surround Left & Right buttons. All of the others listed in the Manual seem to be present plus "Pass Through".

Can I get at this missing link in another way?

stanb

06-02-2015 16:02:20

Dolby Pro Logic "Natural" was removed after we obtained Dolby Certification, on request from Dolby as being an obsolete setting. They only allow Music and Movie settings.
Regards,
Stan

lycia

08-02-2015 20:39:23

Thanks Stan.

I do not understand the last sentence. Surely 'PLII Natural' IS a music setting?

What replaced it?

There does not seem to be anything else in the SP3 surround modes approximating it.

Regards,

Peter

stanb

09-02-2015 22:21:51

Natural or "Matrix" as it may be refered to in other products is a variation of Dolby PLIIx Music with directional enhancement such as PLIIMusPAN (Panorama, wider stereo), PLIIMusCEN (Center vs L/R balance) and PLIIMusDIM (Dimension or front/back balance) switched off. You should be able to reproduce "Natural" settings by adjusting the above options, in the SOURCE SETUP-->DOLBY screen.

wilsonij

17-01-2017 21:05:59

I'm having problems with the decoding of DTS MA signals on the SP3;

I have a 2/2/2.0 setup (2 fronts, 2 rears, 2 back speakers) and the processor is excellent with everything except DTS MA 5.1 discs.

I thought that this was a fault with the processor, but then I discovered this review
http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/rece ... or-review/
which states that the DTS certification does not permit rear channels to be matrixed.

This is odd, because I used to do exactly that with my previous processor (a Classe SSP-800), but also frustrating because almost all of my blu-rays are in 5.1, and this is making the listening experience really poor.

In fact it's actually better if I force my transport to downgrade the signal to a lossy format (such as regular DTS) so that the sp3 can then turn it back into 6 channels !

The article suggests that there may be a workaround, which involves having a subwoofer configured, but I don't understand how this might work (and my subs are not separate, but built-in to my fronts which means I usually have the sub set as "off").

The other option is to switch to PCM and use passthru, but I'm not keen on switching from the superb processing of the SP-3 to the average-at-best processing of my Samsung UHD deck...

Can someone advise what my options are, especially given my wish to maintain sound quality...

Thanks !

Ian

stanb

20-01-2017 15:21:21

It should be able to decode DTS MA 5.1 into 2/2/2.0 speakers. It does not use matrix algorithm but DTS proprietary speaker mapping. What firmware revision are you using?

I would recommend to upgrade to the latest 2016 version, older firmware pre 2015 may be more buggy.

What is the DTS MA sample rate? You can set it to be displayed by MISCELLANOUS-->DISP SAMP Hz ON

Stan Bleszynski

sb@bryston.com

wilsonij

23-01-2017 18:55:29