Tidal

Chris Rice

29-01-2015 23:58:12

With the initial feature set for the BOT wrapping up and just testing for bugs left we have begun developing Tidal support for the Manic Moose firmware. We can't do much as of yet, but future beta's will include what work we have done, those interest can keep track of the work we have done by entering the following urls.

http://<bdp's ip>/bryston/tidal

This URL will function with any beta released in Febuary 2015 onward, updates to what features work will be posted in the RELEASE notes (README) found on the update firmware page.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Rice

02-02-2015 22:43:10

Next beta will have Tidal playback from your Tidal account, but the interface will be very limited and incredibly crude.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Rice

03-02-2015 21:04:58

Tidal support is coming along well just two big hurtles left i believe. The first is just time consuming and that is building controller for the BDP, although this is just going to take time and should poise any significant resistance in development. Second, is streaming, although streaming work the first 10 or 15 seconds is a little "jittery", but once it gets going its fine until the stream is interrupted by user interfaction (pause, next track, etc).

Will be releasing a Beta tonight for those interested in trying it out, just be warned this is by no means a finished product and won't be for a month or two. There isn't even an icon for it, you'll need to navigate to the page by url.

http://<bdp's ip address>/bryston/tidal

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Rice

04-02-2015 00:24:21

its posted!!!!!!

Chris Rice

06-02-2015 01:52:18

At this point things are going smooth enough that you can expect added tidal support with the goal of having a finnished interface in the near future, no later then summer 2015. Check the release notes for manic moose for further updates

Wim J

12-02-2015 20:28:50

Did someone get this to work?
It seems it’s not accepting my password. Yes it is correct, and accepted on other devices . All I get is a 'got jack' message, combined with incorrect username or password message.

Chris Rice

13-02-2015 02:38:30

Wim J

16-02-2015 18:21:56

Chris Rice

16-02-2015 22:56:30

the repeat feature isn't functional as of yet. i suspect your misreading the settings page.

Wim J

17-02-2015 08:21:19

Wim J

23-02-2015 10:56:25

Tried latest release, and Tidal is working now. But I get on more then 10 songs playing from the playlists, then it starts skipping song and goes into pause,...
Is this Tidal related? My internet speeds is 10Mbps which is not great but should be plenty for audio streaming. All is hardwired with CAT5E and/or CAT6 and at least 100Mbps Netgear switches (managable)

Chris Rice

23-02-2015 13:38:30

Wim J

23-02-2015 18:16:56

Yes indeed I m running the 2015-2-20 fimware ,... Sorry

Chris Rice

24-02-2015 02:04:00

Wim J

24-02-2015 19:35:44

I'm Using mpd player,... because i'm getting no sound from mplayer. It even doesn't start playing. So at the moment mplayer is no option for me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. When settings are lossless and MPD I have basic functionality and am able to play music. When settings are lossless and mplayer, I can see song and albums, but can't select them and so they don't play.

update: I got to the situation mplayer is playing according to the screen on my desktop. But in reality my BDA2 doesn't even lock. I happend to noticed in the tidal screen that the bitrates when trying to use mplayer were very low ( 11 , 71, 99...) as already said the BDA2 doesn't lock and the player eventually stops in some kind of pause condition. Similar to what happens at MPD (but only after some songs were succesfully played using MPD).
I also noticed with MPD that before music goes into pause music starts stuttering, then tries playing the next track, eventually skipping that and following tracks. When pressing 'play' again music resumes, but most of the times is starts stuttering again,..

Chris Rice

25-02-2015 00:34:35

Have you tried rebooting between switching between mpd and mplayer? Are you connecting to the DAC via USB or SPDIF? The disadvantage of MPD is you must play a track within ten minutes of adding it to the play queue, otherwise the url times out and is no longer valid. We can't do anything about the stuttering that occurs when set to lossless. We are still working our bugs with mplayer, but currently its the most promising method we have tested as of yet.

Cheers,
Chris

Wim J

26-02-2015 11:13:35

Chris Rice

26-02-2015 14:07:49

We changed how the bitrate is shown, it is in fact much higher then it is display'd. We havn't implemented support for USB interfaces with the mplayer playback method, this should hopefully be done today.

Cheers,
Chris

Wim J

27-02-2015 10:25:57

Ok, I'll wait for USB support of mplayer then. The BDA2 's inputs are almost all in use,...

Wim J

01-03-2015 22:52:01

Today I loaded the 2015-02-26 beta 2.10 software. Without any problems I got mplayer to work. I also was able to listen to more then 10 songs without stuttering playback. This is a very promising evolution :D Keep the sofware updates coming !

Wim J

02-03-2015 14:18:51

Before going to sleep yesterday evening I programmed about 80 tracks in the Tidal playlist (mplayer, lossless, USB). So if everyting was ok it should still have been playing this morning. But this morning the BDP1 was not playing and again in a kind of pause position, and I had to reboot it to become responsive again. So 2015-2-26 is a big step forward, but there's still some work to do. I'll keep you informed if I'm able to pinpoint 'the problem' to specific actions.

Wim

Wim J

04-03-2015 21:12:42

downloaded version 2015-03-03 today. This went smooth. A few remarks concerning the Tidal interface. When a song last for example 3 minutes and 7 seconds the userinterface displays 3:7 in stead of 3:07.
It takes a long while for the BDP1 to be operational since MM 2.10 much longer than the LL releases.

Wim

slanski62

12-03-2015 15:53:06

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but how do I access Tidal? I have an account. In the Manic Moose app, I can't find anything that allows me to select Tidal. What am I missing? Thanks for any help.

Steve

Wim J

13-03-2015 14:07:51

Read the first post in this topic,... You have to add /tidal in your adressbar. It's all still beta!

lostsoul

21-03-2015 16:09:10

I need some help with TIDAL playback. I downloaded S2.11 2015-03-20 but playback does not always work. It works mostly with LOW or HIGH quality settings, but sometimes it does not even start with LOSSLESS.
Login is successful, I add a song in the playlist and I press PLAY, the state changes to "stop" after 2-3 seconds. Playback method is mplayer, playback device: ESI Juli@;ICE1724 IEC958;0;1

random: 0
repeat: 0
single: -1
consume: -1
playlist: 45
playlistlength: 1
xfade: -1
mixrampdb: -1
mixrampdelay: -1
state: stop
song: 0
nextsong: 1
songid: -1
time: 0:215
elapsed: 0.0
cache: 0
buffer: -1
bitrate: 13

Another unsuccessful playback attempt. The state after pressing PLAY:
random: 0
repeat: 0
single: -1
consume: -1
playlist: 12
playlistlength: 1
xfade: -1
mixrampdb: -1
mixrampdelay: -1
state: stop
song: 0
nextsong: 1
songid: -1
time: 1:254
elapsed: 0.8
cache: 0
buffer: -1
bitrate: 2

This also happens with LOW or HIGH quality, although not so frequently.
Then I realized MPD works better than mplayer so I started using that.
Is there a logfile for TIDAL playback? How will I know if playback stops due to slow network connection?
What does the number for 'bitrate' mean for lossless?
I suppose you meant to display "You're Listening To TIDAL".
Also the menu for System Log stopped working. It shows "MPD" only, but nothing happens when I click on it.
Please let me know why playback stops sometimes at the beginning of a song (never in the middle).
MPD works much more reliably than mplayer.

Thanks,
Attila

lostsoul

21-03-2015 20:10:02

OK, things are not as bad as I first found. I tested TIDAL for hours and found that lossless playback works most of the time. 8-) Now and then (once or twice in about 10 songs) playback jumps to the next song in the playlist. Sometimes 3-4 songs are skipped.

Would it be possible to
- make a bigger (maybe selectable) buffer size
- improve the playback not to skip a song, instead it should start prebuffering the stream while the playback pauses and restart playback when the buffer is filled from the remote server

Thanks,
Attila

Chris Rice

24-03-2015 01:24:57

It shouldn't be a buffering issue if it's able to play the first song. The current method of buffering works as follows, nothing is buffered until you push play.

You push play or click a song or in some way initiate playback.
The BDP figures out what the current song should and the next song (based on if repeat or shuffle or on or off)
The BDP begins to buffer the first few KB before playback begins
Playback starts
Once the BDP is done downloading the current song it begins buffering the next into system memory
Once playback of the current song is done the next one to be played is either already downloaded or about to be done downloading into system memory(on our 10mb fibre line the second song is usually done within 60seconds of pushing play)
Either way the BDP figures out what the next song should be and begins playing the former next song and begins downloading the new next song.
This loop allows us to begin the next song within a few thousand micro seconds (havn't actually timed it, but based on the code and the time taken to ensure the file is available it's best guess); either way it feels hapless to me.
The BDP will attempt to buffer the song ten times before giving up and the whole process of buffering starts over once the current song is done downloading.

This is what's likley occurring, although there is no way knowing for sure unless I can look at the logs and the logs arn't easily accessible due to the nature of the content. You'll need to place the BDP into service mode when I have a moment to take a look.

And MPD playback of Tidal is totally disabled at this time as per the release notes.

Cheers
Chris

lostsoul

25-03-2015 19:58:19

Hi Chris,

Yes, I have seen in the log file that MPD playback is disabled, so if I set MPD in S2.11 2015-03-20, MPlayer is used?
Today it was a big disappointment, because TIDAL playback did not work at all (tried both MPD and MPlayer at LOSSLESS).
Not a single song was played, not even the first one in the playlist. All songs were skipped, sometimes the first 0.5 second was played back, then jumped to the next song in the playlist. Why is that? My network connection is not that slow. Maybe I need to log out and log in to TIDAL again? (I'll try this next time)
I can log in to the BDP-2 using ssh and send you any log file (or output of a command) you want, please let me know what you'd like to see in a PM.

Thanks,
Attila

Chris Rice

26-03-2015 19:08:46

The functions that determine to use mplayer vs mod have all been programmed to return mplayer regardless of whats set. It would be best if you just placed the BDP into service mode and email me the service id so i can take a closer look then what any of the log files could show. Not to mention some logs clear after they move onto the next song.

Cheers,
Chris

crice[at]bryston[dot]com

Rhassle

29-03-2015 16:56:44

Hi Chris:
I have the latest firmware
S2.11 2015-03-24
Build: Manic Moose
MPD: 0.18.21 NEWS
Kernel: 3.16-0.bpo.2-486

Tried Tidal and the login/password fields are all jacked and I cannot seem to login. I typed my username and hit tab to get to the password field (no other way to get there) typed in password, hit enter and nothing. Tried hitting a tab before I hit enter and that didn't work either.

I tried both Chrome and IE 11. Looks jacked in both browsers.

I would love to get this working. Might be just the ticket.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll email a screen snap so you can see what I mean.

Cheers

Richard

richter250

29-03-2015 22:02:07

Hi Guys,
I have been keeping up with the Beta firmware, mostly because I really like Tidal.
When trying to install the latest release 2015-3-24, I keep getting the following message.

Downloading firmware filesystem
undefined% @undefined
Downloading boot drivers
100% @1487
Downloading vmlinuz image

Running Filesystem Check: 1482e745c292bce1ff71288f2af95d22 /lib/live/mount/medium/live/filesystem.new
:1482e745c292bce1ff71288f2af95d22Filesystem MD5 Passed
Running Micro Kernel Check CF: Micro Kernel Check Failed CF: md5 values different
Should Be:
Calculated: 442d7dd
You should try reinstalling this version of the firmware and try again

Anyone else having this problem?
Thanks for your help.
Ric

Wim J

30-03-2015 10:13:13

Chris Rice

31-03-2015 16:05:08

richter250

01-04-2015 02:50:42

Thanks Chris!
Installed latest beta firmware today with no problems.

Ric

Lwxian

19-02-2017 14:54:29

Have been using the Tidal beta app for quite some time, when will the official version be ready? The beta version currently is not very mobile friendly and it has not been any update for a long time since the last beta update.

Thanks for making bdp ever better! Cheers!

Blik9

14-03-2017 15:49:39

How long has the Tidal app been in beta anyway?
There must be some conclusion in the not too distant future one would hope...
Should be an app for Spotify too now with the Hifi option becoming available there.
Roon is too expensive by far and is not an option for me.

wormcycle

04-12-2017 23:21:41

Chris Rice

17-12-2017 22:56:48

Are you having difficulties with it?

Lwxian

30-03-2018 01:27:03

Hi Chris,

The current tidal app in bdp could not call out the songs of artist under EP and singles which is an important feature of tidal. So far, the discography in the bryston tidal app only call out albums of artist and not EP and singles. Will the next bryston bdp update resolve this?

Thanks
Leong

Chris Rice

02-04-2018 15:32:57

Yes and no, we don't have any plans to continue developing the seperate TIDAL app and intend to continue integrating TIDAL into the media player interface. Currently TIDAL has been integrated with the Artist View found in media player, but thats only good to augment an existing library with content from TIDAL. S2.38 will see TIDAL integrated into the default view as well, screen grabs below.

Chris

Lwxian

06-04-2018 14:25:46

Thanks Chris!
Currently my firmware is only 2.36 and there is no newer updates... when will 2.38 be released? did I missed a 2.37 update for my bdp-2?
Leong

Chris Rice

17-04-2018 14:28:09

Hi Leong,

S2.37 is a testing build and has a special procedure for installing, please see the link below, currently it has some bugs with TIDAL playback and building the Bryston DB (not a big deal if your library isn't constantly changing). S2.38 will be awhile, I've been working on a revised GUI for the BAX since mid March; but work will resume on Manic Moose shortly.

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=248

Chris

eporopat

12-08-2018 07:11:49

I've had nothing but problems with Tidal on the BDP-Pi prior to using the current 2.37 beta. Its much better now thank you.
I do hope you can improve the interface, it slow and klunky. I think it needs a complete overhaul.

Bsonwine

15-03-2019 17:44:57

I can not get my BDP-1 to log in to tidal. I have given it my name and password but it won’t log in. Help.

Chris Rice

19-03-2019 13:53:27

BrittaniDiamond

03-04-2019 10:53:20

Earlier than resting the day past evening I modified round eighty tracks within the Tidal playlist (mplayer, lossless, USB). So if everyting used to be all right it should at present had been taking part in on the opening of in these days. Be that as it is going to, at present the BDP1 used to be not taking part in and once more in a sort of lengthen role, and that i wanted to reboot it to finally end up responsive another time.

Lwxian

19-04-2020 04:09:20

Hi Chris,

I have issue with my Tidal as the latest firmware S2.42 2020-04-15 have removed the tidal app from application section.

Using the tidal function within media player mode, it could not load my artist collection under my collection section.

Is it the issue with the firmware, or there is a limit to no. Of artists in my collection? I could load the albums And tracks within my collection which is more in numbers. So it is a very strange bug.

I am still using the bdp-2 with bda-3 in my setup.

Thanks!

Mr. Leong.

Lwxian

17-08-2023 14:24:24

Hi Chris,

As Tidal have just released Tidal Max that streams FLAC at 24bit 192khz. Will Bryston be releasing a firmware that support Tidal Max soon?

At the moment... the streaming High setting in Manic Moose is the Low (Up to 320 kbps) in Tidal. Lossless setting in Manic Moose is the High (Up to 16-bit, 44.1 kHz) in Tidal. Will there be a Max setting for the Tidal Max (Up to 24-bit, 192 kHz)?

Last official firmware update is October last year. Pretty long ago.

Thanks Bryston Team for the support!

Leong