Artist View with BDP-1 - work still underway?

Krutsch

09-05-2015 04:38:26

Hi Chris,

Are you planning on any performance improvements for Artist View in future releases? The feature/function is just fine and it looks fantastic, but it literally takes 30+ minutes to fully load my Artists view with roughly 13,000 tracks form an attached USB HDD.

Can I offer a suggestion: skip populating the Artist/AlbumArtist listing with cover art - just put in the text labels, which should be instantaneous. Only when the user clicks/taps on an Artist do you fetch the cover art and populate the albums for that artist in the center panel (which is what you do in the current release).

Just curious... and hopeful, because I am not really liking either MPad or MPDroid and want to just use Manic Moose.

Thanks,

Ken

vklyushnikov

09-05-2015 13:57:26

It is not working on BDP-2 too. I guess that most of BDP customers use MPAD or MPDroid and do not bother with Manic Moose at all.

Krutsch

11-05-2015 14:16:34

Chris,

I have a test case for Artist View, if you are interested. I removed the attached HDD and plugged-in a USB thumb drive with only two albums that I purchased from Google Play from the same artist.

When I updated the MPD database, it all worked fine (and took just a couple of seconds). When I went into the Artists View, it appears to hang while displaying that it is 50% complete (Generating Albums 50% or something like that).

Each album has a "Folder.jpg" in the folder which is 512x512 - I have updated the Media Player settings, Cover Art Name Priority to search: Folder, cover, front.

I gave up waiting on the Artists View, clicked back to Dashboard and back, again, to Media Player and Artist View. After a few minutes, the single artist appeared with both albums correctly displayed. If I go back to the Dashboard, back to the Media Player and into Artist View, after about 2 minutes the display correctly repopulates.

If you are not seeing the same behavior with your test files, I am happy to send you these two albums as a test case?

Thanks, Ken

Chris Rice

11-05-2015 18:54:41

Couldn't hurt, I have never tested with such a small library either. I have seen the update messages show 99%, but it still would populate the list of artists on the left. Also the file names shouldn't be cap sensitive

I've taken a few stabs at trying to increase the performance, but the greatest bottleneck is the CPU in the BDP-1. The new Tidal web interface development has produced some interesting innovations that I have attempted to integrate some them into the Artist view. Ultimately though i'd like to build something from scratch rather then reworking the existing stuff, this will likely be one of the software projects I work on over the course of the summer.

Cheers,
Chris

Krutsch

12-05-2015 04:18:20

Very cool news about the TIDAL interface; I am a fan of TIDAL, so I can't wait to watch this all unfold.

I am happy to send you the files, but they are too large to e-mail. Do you have an FTP site or would a Dropbox like work?

Hang in there... you've done beautiful work on the interface design.

Thanks, Ken

vklyushnikov

12-05-2015 12:04:13

Chris Rice

12-05-2015 14:53:09

There are still content based issues, processing tag data or cover art that causes a process to hang or crash. Our current beta's hope to resolve a few more of these problems.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Rice

12-05-2015 14:54:37

vklyushnikov

12-05-2015 17:14:13

Krutsch

12-05-2015 17:59:48

^^ I agree... my test case was with two (2) albums, with a total of 27 MP3 files, LAME encoded from Google Play store. That's it.

The time required to process these files and populate the Artist View was minutes ... for 27 MP3 files. There are clearly some software defect issues responsible for the current performance.