Roon

Wim J

18-08-2015 21:43:26

I’ve started experimenting with Roon, software from RoonLabs to manage, listen and experience your music files. From the first minute I started the software on my desktop pc I knew that this was it. The software makes you discover your music-database in a way you couldn't imagine before.
After some playing around I was able to use my BDP-1 as a playback device using 'shareplay'. In the beginning it was not behaving very stable and playback was sometimes breaking up. Once I rebooted everything, I disabled all services I did not need on the bdp1. Now only 'shairplay' is running as a service on the bdp1. And it works great!
This is the software that should be running on the bdp1 itself! And, sorry Bryston, but it will take ages before the mpd-software can do what Roon does.
Roon is not free (14 day trial) but when it is behaving stable as it did the last few hours I will very likely buy this. Hoping that it will one day be possible to run on the bdp.

Wim J

20-08-2015 20:06:36

I'm not able to get it to work without glitches or drop-outs. I realize it's not the way the bdp was designed to be used. But this piece of software is that good ! I would like to combine both excellent software and Bryston's BDP's sound quality. Shair play is the only way to go for now ( If you can live with the occassional glitch). But please Bryston, have a look a this software and have a talk with Roon.

generichs

08-11-2015 07:59:51

i agree. The interface for the BDP1 is amateurish. It needs to be able to work with Roon or other more polished music playing systems. Without a better interface I have difficulty recommending BDP1/2 to music lovers.

Wim J

08-02-2016 20:13:25

I noticed Roonlabs RAAT is removed from the latest beta firmware 2.24beta. Lukily for me it was still available on the current stable release 2.22.
As indicated in the beta firmware release notes Roonlabs was removed on request of Roonlabs? WHY :?: I have never been enjoying my bdp1 as much as with Roonlabs. I’m starting to think this will be my last update of my bdp, since it looks like Roonlabs will no longer be supported on the bdp’s.

Hopefully Roonlabs returns to the bdp!

Wim J

15-02-2016 09:34:34

Roon now also dissappeared from the latest stable release 2.23. The release notes mention it is removed on request of Roonlabs themself. Why?

:?:

Chris Rice

19-02-2016 13:19:37

I wasn't given a reason, ask them

dannydulai

23-02-2016 16:01:31

UPDATE: Gary Dayton of Bryston has posted at https://community.roonlabs.com/t/subscr ... quest/8209 about this.

------------

I posted something very similar over at the Roon Community Site ( https://community.roonlabs.com/t/subscr ... quest/8209 ) as well.

The Roon Ready program requires more than an implementation that appears to work. It requires testing and a certification process that ensures that the hardware manufacturer did not implement anything wrong, or in an way that would degrade the user's experience. For example, the implementation must be tested against other manufacturers devices to make sure that the core features of RAAT are implemented properly (like zone grouping).

There is a second side to Roon Ready, where the manufacturer tests the audio outputted, but I don't think they'll mess up that part :wink:

Although the Roon Ready program takes a some time to implement, we have worked closely with the hardware manufacturers at all steps in the process, and have provided them an SDK that takes them most of the way there.

What you have here with Bryston is a release of the RAAT implementation that got out the gate before all of the above could be completed, so they were asked to hold back.

There is no plan to make this permanent. This only happened due to an improper release. We take the release of these implementations very seriously, and an improper release can damage the integrity of the Roon Ready program.

I believe Chris Rice when he says he wasn't given a reason, but a reason was indeed given to his management.

Anyway, fear not, as this improper release should signal to you how close this project is to completion, and that release is imminent.

Since talking to Gary Dayton at CEDIA 2015, we are all very eager for this release to get out the door, but it's important that it gets out the door properly.

generichs

18-05-2016 00:51:34

I think a key bit of dannydulai's post is "a certification process". If a part of the process is Bryston paying a fee for Certification then it may be a bridge too far. It would increase the cost of manufacture to all customers, even those who don't use Roon. Furthermore, Roon is not freeware, so we would be paying for Roon in the hardware purchase and also when installing Roon.

I hope the impediment is not dollars.

Kolas

28-07-2016 07:46:40

generichs

24-08-2016 02:48:25

Roon is up and running after the last upgrade, with a 60 day free trial.

The sound is amazing compared to the sound from MPD using Manic Moose. It is like an equipment upgrade. Easily discernible. Huge amount of bloom and detail.

Oops..sound just skipped. I hope it is not due to latency problems. Will have to watch out for that.

Can't see myself not using Roon now. It is worth it for the sonic improvement.

I don't like the interface. I like to control the interface, not be captive to how Roon wants to present my library.

Latency is the only concern I have sonically.

generichs

28-08-2016 08:57:17

There is a latency problem using Roon with the BDP-1. Maybe someone can come up with a setting to avoid latency with Roon.

generichs

30-08-2016 07:58:26

I suspect if JRiver was enabled in the BPD-1 that would be a better option than Roon. The sound of both software is similar and JRiver is a lot cheaper and provides a CD ripper to store music files.

It would be good to be able to compare both on the BDP-1.