TIDAL compatibility

Mcryderman

21-05-2018 15:29:14

Ian interested in purchasing a used bdp2 for my system. I will by using some of my own music library but mostly tidal. Will the bdp2 support mqa? Is tidal embedded into the bryston music player app? Right now I use a small Asus computer with my music library via jriver. I use bubble upnp to control playback and stream tidal to computer. I want to get away from the computer and maybe improve sound quality a bit.

Can I control music from Android phone but music is being sent from bryston to my dac?

My nuprime DAC 9 has usb, spdif and coax.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Chris Rice

22-05-2018 17:38:48

Hi Mark,

We do not and likely won't be supporting MQA in either our players or DAC's in the foreseeable future. The BDP's are pretty universal players, you could place the BDP into UPnP/DLNA renderer mode and use it just like you current configuration with jRiver and BubbleUPnP. The BDP comes preconfigured to use MPD as the primary method of playback which we believe is the best way for playing back music (produces the best quality anyways). This method can play files from a USB drive, NAS, TIDAL and stream from radio from the shoutcast library.

In UPnP/DLNA renderer mode you can use the BDP just like you use your current system and in MPD mode you can control playback from anything that has a reasonably modern web browser built in. Yes you can use your android phone to control the BDP.

I'm not terribly familiar with your DAC, however from what I can gather from the manual the balanced and single ended SPDIF connections should work and the USB interface appears to be compatible with the BDP.

Chris

Mcryderman

28-05-2018 18:02:35

Thanks for all the info. If I wanted to take the computer out if the picture I could load my personal music files on usb drive and just control from Android device. I don't know if I care about tidal MQA as the cd quality sounds pretty good already. I use 80% tidal now as it has almost everything I own with a few exceptions.

I just hope it sounds a bit better that my current regular computer using usb out to dac.

Thanks,

Mark

Chris Rice

28-05-2018 21:13:50

A BDP-2 should provide a noticeable improvement in sound quality, i'd be very surprised if you don't